Wednesday, June 1, 2011

grill girl

Got back on the grocery train this AM after work. Did a nice little TJ and WF run. Got a ton of fresh produce- corn, strawberries, blueberries, mango, kale, baby spinach, cucumber, zucchini, scallions, lemons, tomatoes, jalapenos, bananas, and snap peas! Most of the produce is organic but a few conventional products slipped in- some deals were too good to pass up this time, but I will try to splurge on the organic version next time!

In addition I picked up roasted peanuts, whole wheat flat bread, sunflower butter, low fat yogurt, frozen pineapple, quinoa, extra firm tofu, and Food Should Taste Good Jalapeno chips.  Got out for $62, not too bad. 



When I woke up this afternoon my brother told me a black bear casually traipsed through our backyard today- pretty crazy since we live in a very suburban area. Hearing this, I was a bit worried about going outside to make food but did it anyway- just kept an ear out for a large, hungry animal crashing toward me.

I marinated portobellos, zucchini, and extra firm tofu in a Sweet and Sour vinaigrette made up of: 1/4 c EVOO, lemon juice (1 lemon), 1/4 c red wine vinegar, a few Tbsps mango chutney, and a sprinkle of cayenne. I just let them sit for about an hour and they were ready for the grill...


Which I didn't pay attention to well... so some pieces got a bit scorched but were still completely edible. good thing because otherwise I'd be lacking for dinner this week.

Besides the aforementioned zucchini, tofu, and portobellos I also grilled some sweet  potatoes. For these guys I just cooked the large sweet potatoes until fork tender but not mushy int he microwave (about 5 minutes). Once they were barely tender, I sliced down the potatoes, sprayed with EVOO, and seasoned with salt, pepper, and cayenne. Once seasoned I just put the sweet potatoes on the grill until they got nice grill lines and a bit of a crust.


After grilling I headed to my CKO Kickboxing trial class. It was AWESOME. So much better than I ever expected. More on that tomorrow though because I am too lazy to post it all now!

Post-kickboxing it was home to eat the grilled deliciousness.

I spread some goat cheese on the portobellos,  zucchini , and sweet potatoes and made little stacks then heated them lightly in the toaster oven to melt the cheese. Had a few pieces of tofu alongside... I couldn't get a pic that looked good due to the darkness of outside but these were tasty!


Instead of a salad, I roasted up some kale chips. These are super easy to make (although last time I tried I nearly smoked out the kitchen because I didn't watch them). 

1)Preheat oven to 450 degrees.
2) Wash kale and remove thick stems. Dry VERY VERY well. 
3) Spray cooking oil on baking sheet. Make one layer of kale. Spray kale with cooking spray. 
4) Sprinkle salt, pepper, garlic, and Parmesan cheese over the top... or any seasoning you like.
5) Bake until dried, crispy, and easy to shake back and forth on pan. About 10 minutes... but watch closely.
6) Serve immediately! I like some ketchup with my kale chips.


And for dessert... Red Mango pomegranate fro-yo w/ dried coconut and granola alongside a small Dark and Stormy with Homemade Ginger Beer. Mmm.


Nighty night!

No comments:

Post a Comment