Saturday, June 4, 2011

get preppy

Just a sleep day while on the 3 shift rotation. Kept nice and busy at work last night without going crazy... nice families always help and I was lucky enough to only have such families!

I know sometimes the way I eat only seems possible because I am single and don't have others to really worry about.  This is partially true, for sure, but I am often heading off on trips and such or just keeping busy outside so I don't have a ton of time to cook very often either. The key is prepping ahead. Often, I have one big prep day where I make up all my lunches and prep veggies for the week.

Prepping vegetables is really all about chopping and then putting somewhere hot if you want them cooked or the fridge if you want them raw. Think about it... are you baking for an event? While you are watching the cookies come in and out of the oven, chop and marinate the veg and put them in the already hot oven once the cookies are done and out to cool. Making hamburgers for the family for dinner? Prep veggies while the hamburgers and then throw the green on the grill while you eat dinner.

Not only does prepping while another task that needs watching but doesn't require you to do much save time, it also saves energy (and time) because your cooking mechanism is already hot!

For grains and beans- if you're already making rice, why not double it to have during the week? Already making something on the stovetop? Grains and benas require very little attention so throw a pot on next to whatever it is you're making. COoked beans even freeze well!

And for those of you who prefer freshly cooked vegetables (don't we all)- a toaster oven is a quick and easy way to reheat vegetables without the soggy effect of a microwave. You just have to choose- less than perfect (but still tasty) produce or no produce at all. I know what I'd pick.

Thanks to prepping ahead tonight's dinner was baby spinach and brown rice heated in microwave and topped with grilled portobello, zucchini, and sweet potatoes heated in the toaster oven.  A little mozz that I have left over always helps the cause too...



I polished off the last three pieces of tofu while waiting for the veggies to finish. Yes, I was that impatient.

As for the car in... I love to snack on my way to work if you haven't noticed... I have blueberries and strawberries tossed with agave and dried coconut with a big old iced coffee + vanilla almond milk.

Now I must run to prove that prepping ahead saves me time...

No comments:

Post a Comment