Monday, June 27, 2011

in the swing

I let myself sleep in until 10 am today, which means I missed kickboxing. Definitely worth it though since I have a 4 day work week + CPR class this week and will likely end with a sleep deficit. 

I woke up and enjoyed a smoothie in a bowl with frozen strawberries, frozen mango, frozen banana, fresh orange, and yogurt with some coconut, sunflower butter, granola, and flax to top it off. 


My belly appreciated this nutritious and light breakfast after the eggs, bread, and cereal I've been eating the last week!


After breakfast I cooked for awhile to prep for the week, then I hit the treadmill despite wanting to just head to bed. I skipped working out yesterday and know that with work there will be at least two more days of missed workouts this week so I knew a 5K run was necessary. Since I went at 2 it was too warm to go outside. While I don't like working out on the treadmill usually, once in awhile it's fun especially today when I got to watch The Next Food Network Star. <3

I got this Whole Living magazine his week in the mail. Not sure why, so I should probably make sure it's not a scam where I get charged. Flipped through the mag and liked what I saw... especially on the cover.


On the front is a raw food recipe for zucchini spaghetti. I had zucchini in the fridge so I decided dinner this week should be based off zucchini spaghetti...


Mine isn't quite raw and has different ingredients than the magazine recipe.

Zucchini and Carrot Ribbons
(serves 1)

1/2 organic zucchini 
1 organic carrot 
1/2 cup chick peas (I cooked mine from dry) 
2 tsp EVOO 
1 clove garlic (crushed) 
hot pepper flakes

1) Using a vegetable peeler, press firmly and peel the carrot and zucchini into long ribbons.
2) In a pan, heat EVOO, pepper flakes (to taste), and garlic. Once hot, add chickpeas. Cook for 2 minutes.
3) Turn off heat and toss zucchini and carrots into pan for 1 - 2 minutes. Add salt and pepper to taste.
4) Serve with Parmesan cheese. Dish will be warm but not hot and vegetables will be warm, not cooked.


YUM. This was such a simple, tasty, and fresh dinner.... not to mention a great detox after a week of overindulging.

Off to work now with a nice homemade lunch for the week. More on the lunch to come!

No comments:

Post a Comment