Saturday, April 16, 2011

what's a GOTR coach?

If you've read my "about me" to the left of the blog,  you may have wondered what a GOTR coach is. GOTR stands for Girls on the Run.  GOTR is an international running and self esteem program for girls in 3rd- 5th grade. Over a 10 week season we train for a 5K but do so each session in the context of a lesson plan focusing on healthy eating, fitness, bullying, self esteem, positivity, being a friend, and being yourself. The season culminates in a 5K where dozens of local chapters join and run together. It is an AMAZING program and focuses not on speed but self accomplishment.  If you are interested in coaching, fundraising, or donating please visit Girls on the Run NJ for NJ chapters (where I coach) or Girls on the Run for the international organization.

That's my little plug for GOTR- I mentioned it because this morning we had our 9:30 practice. It feels like late Feburary, not mid-April; we all had gloves, hats, and multiple layers on in the wet, 40 degree weather. I have to say though, I was really proud of my girls- they all ran 2 miles in under 45 minutes and we are only 3 weeks in! This is such a determined group which makes it extra fun to coach.

After GOTR I was freezing and knew if I went home I wouldn't work out so I just ran through the neighborhoods near where we practice. My muscles were so stiff from the cold that the first mile was really rough. I ended up making it three miles, but my hip and ankle were bothering me which is what I get for taking two weeks off of lunges and squats. Looks like restarting those will be a goal this week.

Needed a small meal since the two low-fat Nutrigrain Waffles with agave and strawberries was not enough to last until 5 pm tonight. Made scrambled eggs (1 whole, 2 whites) with 1 TBSP crumbled bacon, handful of baby spinach, and shavings of Romano cheese (Parmesan would work well too). These were awesome- picture definitely did not do it justice. I didn't even use ketchup... which I almost always put on my eggs.  They had a lot of flavor and just enough bacon to make them super tasty without a lot of fat. Here they are:

Scrambled Eggs with Spinach, Bacon, and Romano



After, I cooked some wheatberries and ground up some buckwheat groats into flour to use later this week. I also made hummus! I have wanted to for so long but never got around to it. It is so easy that I feel silly for putting it off. Here's my recipe, but you can play around with it. I looked at a bunch of recipes to get an idea of how much tahini (roasted sesame seed paste) to use. Most seemed to say 1/4 to 1/3 cup per can of chick peas. I used only 3 tbsp and it has plenty of sesame flavor for me.

Spicy Lemon Hummus
1 can (15 oz) organic chickpeas 
3 TBSP Tahini 
Juice of 1 organic lemon
Crush red pepper (to taste)
Kosher salt and pepper (to taste)
- Put all ingredients in food processor and turn on. Blend to desired consistency. Thin with water to desired consistency. I like mine smooth and used about 3 T. Next time, I may add a litle EVOO for texture. Will let you know how that goes!



Then it was arts and crafts time. I wanted to make mason jars and paint a strip of chalkboard paint on them to use as labels. The jars are perfect for food storage (cabinet, fridge, OR freezer) - they are BPA free and you can see exactly what you have and how much. However, once I started putting everything in the jars I thought it looked too cool to paint anything on. I'll just use a sticker if I have have two jars that look to similar! Here are just a few.... I bought twelve and they are all filled!


Now its time for a shower and nap before work. Just packed up my dinner/snacks for work:
- Salad: organic baby spinach, 3 oz grilled chicken, 1 T bleu cheese,  2 T wheatberries, 1 T roasted sunflower seeds, 1 T roasted pumpkin seeds, English cucumber, tomatoes
Dressing: 2 T balsamic + 1 tsp Dijon mustard + 1/2 T EVOO
- Snacks: 3 T TJ Cinnamon Almonds, small organic gala apple, homemade hummus and 1 c carrots, Food Should Taste Good Jalapeno Chips
-Breakfast (for the drive home): TJ Pomegranate Greek Yogurt, 2 T hemp granola

May seem like a lot, but all the portions are completely reasonable. For me, the key to keeping up healthy eating is variety and great flavor. I think this falls into it well! Enjoy your Saturday night and keep your kiddies well so that work isn't too crazy :)

1 comment:

  1. I love the Mason jar idea! I am going to do that too for my trail mixes and brown rice, etc.- much more attractive than my tupperware containers!

    ReplyDelete