Friday, April 29, 2011

egg-sessed

Am I the only blogger that loves to eat and be healthy that is not obsessed with oatmeal?

Seriously, I have been reading a ton of blogs and I seem to be the only one who isn't completely in love with oatmeal. There are even blogs dedicated to just oatmeal!  Sure, I go through kicks where I'll have steel cut oats or overnight oats for a week or so, but those trends are pretty rare. I try to eat oatmeal- it's low fat, high fiber, full of vitamins and minerals, and it's whole grain- but my kicks never lasts.

Here are my issues with oatmeal:
  • I do not have much of a sweet tooth and oatmeal tends to have a sweet component to it.
  • Oatmeal, though filling for most, seems to leave me hungry before lunch time.
  • Texture. I do not like old fashioned oats unless made into overnight oats or a doughy smoothie... or cookies. At times I can go for quick cut oats because they have more of a chew, but even these are too mushy for me.

With all these oatmeal issues, I have decided that I will stick to what my body craves int he morning: EGGS. I love eggs- fried, in an omelet, baked, scrambled, hard-boiled, poached- and usually, with ketchup. Because I love ketchup as much as a 5 year old. Heinz ketchup to be exact. I am definitely a ketchup snob. And please don't lecture about the sugar content. Believe me, I know. But there are worse vices, right?

I'm guessing it's the staying power of protein and a little fat that fuels me for so long without feeling weighed down. I love that eggs are so versatile that they can handle almost any ingredients. Perfect for the leftover queen that I am! Plus, they are a savory/salty breakfast food which is much more up my alley.

Some people are still stuck on the idea that having an egg yolk every day is unhealthy for your cholesterol. Not so! Research shows that it is the saturated and trans fats in food that are dangerous for cholesterol levels in humans. Thus, the 200g or so of cholesterol in one large egg is generally thought to be a safe amount in healthy adults if consumed daily since the saturated fat in eggs is low at 2 g (total fat is 5g). One whole, large egg is only about 70 calories and contains 5 g of protein.


If you are still yolk-a-phobic, here are some more nutrition boosters that you can get from that yolk.
  • Choline-  helps form neurotransmitters, aids in the absorption of folic acid (especially important for women!), and reduces inflammatory markers in the body
  • B12- important for heart health
  • Lutein- protects eyes as you age
One yolk is good for you, but more is unnecessary (moderation my friends!). This is why I generally use 1 whole egg and 2 egg whites any time I make eggs. The white has only 16 calories, 0 fat, 0 cholesterol, and 4 g of protein! A great way to add protein and not much else is with egg whites.

The added plus of eating eggs is that they are inexpensive. Budget-friendly, versatile, satisfying, and quick. What could be better?

This morning it was the last 1/4 of the baked buckwheat with the usual toppings and a fried egg on top of the rest of my baby spinach- sauteed. If all this talk is making you crave eggs, try this recipe (a great pre-workout breakfast or lunch).

  1. Heat pan on medium-low heat.
  2. Scramble 2 egg whites and 1 whole egg. Add splash of milk if desired.
  3. Add baby spinach and sauteed mushrooms to eggs. 
  4. Add mix to heated pan sprayed with EVOO cooking spray.
  5. Add dollops of Tangy Feta Dip to eggs.
  6. Keep moving eggs in pan and cook to desired consistency. Dip should melt right into eggs. I like my eggs cooked but not too dry.  Tasty and healthy.
Clearly, this recipe has a ton of wiggle room. Use any veggies or cheeses you like and just scramble right in.

If you want more information on eggs, the George Matelhan Foundation has a comprehensive profile that does a great job explaining the benefits in greater detail. This site has great information on a variety of healthy eats and is based on scientific research.

Shout out to Susie for a doing a 20 story stair climb at 3 am Wednesday morning for a pick me up at work. A little sweating during break at work = instant energy and smile! Two days later, my calves are STILL screaming!

Off for a busy day and weekend. Hoping this breakfast will hold me over!

Not sure I'll be posting but will try. :)

1 comment:

  1. Wow...so 72hrs post climb, I'm still having trouble walking up a flight to my bedroom. Good thing I didn't have to do it last night since I camped out on the couch throwing my own little Royal Wedding Viewing Party =) Excited about the chicken pitas! so far the Olive Burgers and Lentils Puntanesca have been a hit with the fam.. I even doubled the lentils recipe and shared with my parents and they loved it too.. I ended up using leftover tomato sauce instead of the cup of water you recommended... and finally this morning I put those kiwis to use in a fruit salad ..a very very large fruit salad.. too bad I'm not working until Sunday, wouldve been a great snack.. Well off to the gym I go..picked up my Bridal Gown today and yay it fits..now I need to do some serious strength training..focussing on upper body bc man oh man those calves and thighs are still burning..must let them recoups so we can climb another 20 flights on Monday.

    ReplyDelete