Thursday, April 28, 2011

flip FLOP

Breakfast today was 1/8th of the bake with Flax PB, coconut flakes, and agave nectar... I feel like I have been eating this thing forever! P.S. It doesn't photograph well.

I also made a smoothie. I'm not a someone who eats a lot of smoothies... just don't find them filling. But today the mood struck, so I went with it.  This smoothie is more liquidy than others since the only frozen thing I used was the berries, plus I used kefir which is essentially drinkable yogurt and thus liquidy. I hid spinach in it too since I have SO much to get through... you can't even taste it (or see it)!

Berry Kefir Smoothie

1 cup frozen mixed berries (I used TJ's Very Cherry Blend)
1+ cup baby spinach
1 cup Pomegranate Kefir 
five fresh strawberries (because they are about to go bad!)



Throw everything in a blender. Blend. Enjoy. Difficult, I know. Makes a really big smoothie for under 300 calories.

After breakfast... ok RIGHT after because I literally finished my smoothie as I walked into the gym... I headed to spin class. The teacher was actually my best friend from preschool's mom; I haven't seen him in years and years but I went up after and reintroduced myself. She was a great instructor and the workout was very hill heavy, which I love! Music was just ok, way too much pop/hip hop kind of stuff which is not my thing. A good sweat overall. 

Afterwards, I headed to the pool. Unfortunately I forgot flip flops. Ew. So I had 3 options: go shoeless, wear my flippers around, or leave. Leaving was not an option ebcause I haven't been in a pool in a month and finally got there. Flippers? I'm goofy but NOT wearing flippers around the locker room and into the shower. The gross option was chosen. I know, not the best example as a nurse, but I rewashed when I came home at least! Once I got in the pool, I felt really motivated and did an awesome 1800 meter workout in 45 minutes. I'll post that workout later, it was a good one! 

Option 2: Rejected.


Afterwards, lunch was definately in order. The salad of the day was baby spinach (obviously), roasted yellow beets, strawberries, pineapple, and 1/2 an avocado. The dressing was Lemon Tahini. Tahini is roasted sesame seed paste and most commonly known as a component of hummus. Its really tasty and provides a lot of zinc, copper, manganese, and lots more. Click here for more info on sesame. Note: tahini is pretty high in calories (100 per TBSP) and fat, so use sparingly! 


Lemon Tahini Dressing 
(1 serving) 

1 T tahini 
1 T warm water 
1 scallion, chopped 
Fresh lemon juice, to taste
Salt and pepper

Whisk all ingredients together. Thin with lemon juice or water as desired. About 100 calories per recipe. 

Sweet potato "fries" seasoned with Kosher salt and cayenne on the side! 


TJ cinnamon almonds for dessert...  and Diet Coke because I love it. It loves me too, see the heart?


Off to do lots of errands and grocery shop. With a list this trip :) Tempted to make this Mediterranean Dip, but know it won't get eaten. Another day! More rain today, but at least there is thunder... I love thunder.


Groupon Alert! 

CKO Kickboxing classes are on Groupon North Jersey today. Normally I'm not into kickboxing but these classes use punching bags so I'm in! $49 dollars for 10 classes. That's 75% off! Buy it if you live near any of the locations.  I will be using mine this summer. Click here to see the deal.

No comments:

Post a Comment