Tuesday, May 24, 2011

i say frittata

This morning I was just too lazy to make anything when I got home and there was half a while wheat everything bagel calling my name. I love bagels, but only in the New York area. fortunately (and unfortunately) that's where I live so I probably eat bagels a bit more than I should. Today, though, was a bagel kind of day so I toasted the last half and slathered it with cream cheese.

It totally hit the spot but I was still wishing I'd made eggs when I fell asleep, so I decided I'd make a frittata for dinner. Little did I know, Patrick had the same idea and I woke up to him pulling this bad boy out of the oven: 6 egg frittata with cheddar, mozzarella, bacon, Taylor ham, and potatoes. Yes, it was as tasty as it sounds. And just as unhealthy... but I still had to have a couple bites.
BROtein

As much as I would like to eat like a 17 year old boy, it's just not a good idea. So for dinner I made my own veggie frittata. This is a very versatile recipe. My version had garlic, asparagus, baby spinach, roasted red peppers, sweet potatoes, basil, rosemary, and mozzarella. The spinach and asparagus went in uncooked while the sweet potatoes were already roasted. Literally any veggies or cheeses will work. Tofu or meat... especially bacon... would be good too. Get creative!

PROtein

Basic Veggie-ful Frittata
1) Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Meanwhile, heat 1  - 2 TBSP EVOO on medium heat in an oven-safe pan. Add chopped garlic or onion to the pan and soften. Garlic only needs a minute, onions need about three.
2) Add veggies to pan. Add uncooked veggies first and cooked veggies next and fresh greens last. If you use mushrooms, tomatoes, or other produce that has a lot of excess water, cook off the water. Add herbs of your choice, salt, and pepper. Cook 1 minute. (2 cups of vegetables is about right per person)
 
3) Turn off pan heat. Scramble 2 eggs and 1 egg white (or any combination of eggs and egg whites you like) and pour over veggies. Crumble cheese on top. About 1 oz of cheese is good if making for one person.
 
4) Put pan into oven and bake for about 10 minutes, or until eggs are set. Remove immediately and serve. Do not over-bake.
 
I ended up eating 3/4 of this frittata- the last bit will be breakfast. It was filling and packed with protein, flavor, and vitamins. My favorite part was the rosemary-basil combination and the bubbly mozzarella. I know it looks like a ton of cheese but its really only 1 oz! This was perfect for dinner served with three pieces of baked balsamic tofu and a peach.

For the car it was yet another banana with PB and Honest Tea Heavenly Lemon Tulsi. Apparently tulsi is also referred to as "holy basil" which I was news to me since I bought this drink solely because of the mini beach scene on the label. This tea definately had a basil-y taste. It was fresh taste though and not like drinking pesto- would drink this again.

I have a personal training session tomorrow... hoping to get good ideas for strength training with items I can use at home this summer sans gym membership!

I'm playing with the overall design layout of my blog... please comment if you have opinions on what you like best!

No comments:

Post a Comment