As per usual, I made my lunches in advance for the week ahead of time. This week the menu is:
- Mediterranean Chickpea Salad
- Whole wheat flat bread with Babaganoush
- Organic baby carrots
- Fruit (apricots, an apple, or an orange depending on what's in the bag)
- Greek yogurt (various flavors) w/ Hemp Plus Granola and dried coconut
- Diet Coke (got a new case!)
Yesterday I posted the babaganoush recipe, so here's the Mediterranean Chickpea Salad. It's pretty similar to Tabbouleh Transformed, but with a few ingredients swapped out and less herbiness. Really tasty with some great crunch (celery, cucumbers) and chew (wheatberries).
Mediterranean Chickpea Salad
1 cup hard red winter wheat
2/3 cup dried chickpeas
1 English cucumber (seeded)
1/2 cup sun dried tomatoes (not oil packed)
2 scallions (chop green and white parts)
3 celery stalks
15 kalamata olives
1/4 cup olive oil
3 oz feta cheese (I used TJ's light feta)
1 cup fresh mint leaves (loose, not packed)
- Soak chickpeas for 4 to twelve hours, covered in water. Place soaked chickpeas in pot with about 3 cups water. bring to a boil and turn down to a simmer. Simmer 1 1/2 to 2 hours partially covered until tender to desired doneness.
- While chickpeas cook, rinse winter wheat and place in pot. Cover with 1 -2 inches of water. Bring to a boil and turn to a simmer. Simmer 45 minutes to an hour until chewy to desired doneness.
- Chop cucumber, sun-dried tomatoes, scallions, celery, olives and mint. Toss chopped veggies and mint with cooled chickpeas and wheatberries.
- Crumble feta well into small bowl. Add EVOO and lemon juice to bowl and whisk. Toss dressing with salad. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve cold. Makes 4-5 main dishes or 8 side dishes.
|French Lentils w/ scallions and celery|
|Balsamic Baked Tofu|
|Talk about eat your colors...|
Four day work week this week. More rain expected, of course, but at least that will be great for sleeping!