Friday, May 6, 2011

back in the swing of things

On my way home, I decided stopping for groceries before bed would be the best use of time. I bought a ton of fresh ingredients- which I will have to be mindful of using since I'm heading to my grandparent's house in the Hamptons on Wednesday morning after work! Here's the take:

Everything- all for $50!

 Dairy- 4 yogurts (all different flavors- will report back!), light TJ feta

Veggies (organic when available, but some conventional)
button mushrooms, parsley, mint, scallions, baby spinach,
 English cuke, local radishes, zucchini, and baby bok choy 

Fruit
3 organic Pink Lady apples, organic strawberries,  Fair Trade mango

Frozen green beans, raspberries, blueberries, and spinach
(note: all organic, even though the price difference KILLED me)

Dried Carb/Protein
French lentils, northern white beans, garbanzo beans,
and hard red winter wheat (wheatberries)


I plan to make my own version of the sausage dish I had in ATL, with the baby bok choy I'll have Apricot-Mango Chicken Sausage I bought (ok, yes, on impulse) from Whole Foods. At least its local and was on sale, right? The other plans are quinoa burgers as well as my own spin on Tabbouleh using wheatberries and other ingredients. More on those to follow!


As for the rest of my day, in honor of Cinco de Mayo I only got five hours of sleep. OK, five and a half. I just was too wired from the beautiful weather and the thought of finally getting in some good, sweaty exercise.

I meant to get up at 5:30 so that I could hit spinning at 6:30 and then swim. No dice. I rolled over at 6:15 and realized that plan was a fail. As I should have known since it was 12:30 by the time I climbed in bed! I woke up and ate a banana with flax PB before heading out for a quick 3 mile run. It was one of those runs where my head was overflowing with happiness and endorphins, while my body was saying "bed... now... pleaseeee." My legs were heavy and my lungs had that raw feeling I usually only get when its cold out. Luckily, my head stayed in the game and dragged my body with it for the whole run. 

Dinner was a mushroom burger that I bought on impulse last week at WF on a whole wheat sandwich thin with green peppers on the side. It wasn't a pretty burger to photograph but tasted delicious with some mustard and ketchup!

Then it was off for a quick 20 minute swim of 1000 meters (over the 1/2 mile I will have to swim for the triathalon). I did backstroke, freestyle, drills, sprints, and more- just did them in 100M increments. It was a quick swim but I'm glad I did it before I headed to the bar for 1/2 a pomegranate margarita and some Dos Equis. ( I had a snack of Kashi Go Lean! Berry Crisp, Pomegranate Kefir, and 2 sliced kiwis on the way.)

Now I'm off to bed so that hopefully I wake up tomorrow in time fore 8:30 spin! Making some overnight oats before I hit the hay though.  I also want to say I just checked out my blog stats and I'm just over 100 page views from 1000. I also have readers in Canada, Australia, Germany, Colombia, and the Netherlands. Yes, I am a nerd but this is very cool!

Also, I just finished off that organic cottage cheese while writing this. Holy sodium. I ate the whole container in a span of about 12 hours. Oops! AT least its high in protein...

Nighty night!

No comments:

Post a Comment