Friday, May 20, 2011

busy busy

Its been a busy two days, hence no entries! Its been work and sleep the last few days, so nothing exciting anyway.
I have to say, the Seedy Whole Grain Bread is growing on me a lot. It's keeping well in a plastic container on the kitchen counter and tastes best toasted. I like it with jam, cheese, or PB and agave. This morning I had the bread with PB and agave... but ended up almost all of it before my standard fried egg + egg white was ready. Hence, this picture...


As promised, here is the recipe for Vegeterian Bolognese. I decided to cook up this dish because pasta with traditional bolognese sauce is one of my favorite meals of all time. I am trying to reduce my meat intake, and since this recipe would feed me for multiple days I wanted it to be vegerertian. You could really use almost any veggies for the food processor portion. I tried to vary my colors as much as possible for added taste and nutrients.
Its amazing how "meaty" this sauce is! Pretty sure you could get non-veggie lovers on board with this pasta.
Vegeterian Bolognese
(happy to say that everything was organic except the shitake mushrooms and pasta!)
 
1 bulb fennel
1 red or orange pepper
1 zucchini
3 carrots
1 red onion
5 diced shitake mushrooms (bought from bulk section)
1 cup diced baby portobellos
3 TBSP tomato paste
1 can crushed tomatoes w/ basil
(I like to add my own basil but the least expensive organic brand was out if plain.)
6 oz whole wheat angel hair pasta (I like Barilla Plus)
1/2 cup red wine (Cook with something you would drink.)
3 TBSP EVOO
Salt, pepper, crushed
Parmesan cheese rind

1) Prep vegetables as you normally would. If you are unfamiliar with fennel, remove stalks and slice down around core. Do not use core. Cut vegetables into large chunks and place in food processor. Pulse until well chopped but still chunky. You may need to do this in batches, there are a lot of veggies.
2) Heat 2 tbsp EVOO in large pot on medium heat. Add chopped vegetables to pot, along with salt, pepper, and crushed red pepper (to taste). Saute about 3 minutes.
3) Add mushrooms and and tomato paste. Saute another three minutes.
4) Add crushed tomatoes, wine, and 1/2 cup water to pot. Bring to a boil and immediately turn down to a simmer. Add Parmesan cheese rind.
5) Simmer sauce at least an hour. Excess moisture should evaporate to thicken sauce and wine flavor should become more subtle. Remove rind before serving.
6) Toss with 6 oz angel hair pasta. While hot, throw in a few handfuls of baby spinach if desired (it wilts perfectly without any cooking). Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese.
Dinner before work was salad. Tonight's involved the grilled tofu, zucchini, and eggplant I made on Tuesday, as well as the leftover chickpeas, fresh orange peppers, and baked sweet potatoes. I added grated Parmesan cheese, TJ's Olive Tapenade, balsamic vinegar, and EVOO. Just enough of a spin on the salad I had Tuesday and Wednesday night to keep me from getting bored.


On the side I had another piece of Seedy Whole Grain Bread, this time toasted with 1/2 a slice of provolone cheese and TJ Dijon Mustard. It was so tasty, but Dijon mustard from Trader Joe's has QUITE the kick. Its not exactly spicy on when you eat it, but whatever the kick is, it made my nose burn and my eyes water ! I have to use this stuff sparingly. The way the spice tickles my nose reminds me of horseradish- just don't be too generous with it.
 
I had another small cone of Ciao Bella Coconut Sorbet and a latte from the Tassimo on my way out the door. This sorbet is soooo good with real flakes of coconut. Everything about this stuff is real and the ingredients are high quality. It makes the higher calories worth it because I can eat 1/2 a serving to feel satisfied.
Going to attempt the Friday 4:30 pm strength class at the gym- I need to stick with this strength thing. Off for Friday and Saturday with our practice 5K for GOTR on Saturday morning. SO psyched! Last year, this was my favorite day. Many of the girls will run 3.1 miles for the first time in their lives. It's amazing to see how proud they are at the end. Can't wait!

oh... just an FYI... those Grown-Up Ants on a Log are same day eats. They were awesome on work night #1 but soggy and icky by night #2!

2 comments:

  1. do your brother eat the pasta dish. need them as lab rats.
    auntie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good question... I will test on Colin and Liam... if Pat eats it then we KNOW today is the end of the world

    ReplyDelete